• Settle Surgery

    Station Road
    Settle BD24 9AA

  • Bentham Branch Clinic

    Main Street
    High Bentham LA2 7LE

  • Gisburn Farm Office

    BB7 4ES

T: 01729 823 538

E: info@daleheadvetgroup.co.uk

RCVS Accredited

Travelling Abroad with your Pet

To travel with your pet dog, cat or ferret to the EU from 01/01/2021 you will now need 2 visits to the surgery.

1. A microchip and rabies vaccination appointment more than 3 weeks before travel (unless already done), and a rabies booster within every 3 years. The rabies vaccination certificate (e.g. Pet Passport) must travel with your pet.

2. An Animal Health Certificate (AHC) appointment within 10 days of travel. A new AHC is needed for each trip from Great Britain to EU and Northern Ireland. Each AHC can be used for up to 4 months onward travel to other countries within the EU and return to the UK.

3. A tapeworm treatment is needed before travel from Britain to Northern Ireland, Ireland, Finland, Norway, Malta, and will be given at the Animal Health Certificate appointment.

4. Animal Health Certificate’s are for non-commercial movements of no more than 5 pets accompanied by their owner (or person authorised by the owner in writing) who must also accompany the pets for the Animal Health Certificate appointment within 10 days of travel to sign the form.

5. As the UK is now a ‘listed third country’ a rabies blood test is now not needed to enter the EU (as long as your pet has not lived outside of the UK or EU).

6. A tapeworm treatment is needed (as before) between 1 and 5 days before return to the UK (apart from Northern Ireland, Ireland, Finland, Norway, Malta).

7. Documents needed to take with your pet:

· Rabies Vaccination Card

· Animal Health Certificate

· Owner Declaration – part of the Animal Health Certificate

· Authorisation in writing of nominated person to accompany animal if not the owner.


For any further information please visit the government website at: https://www.gov.uk/taking-your-pet-abroad

telephone (01729) 823538    fax (01729) 825171    email info@daleheadvetgroup.co.uk

© Dalehead Veterinary Group Limited trading as Dalehead Veterinary Group. All rights reserved. All logos and trademarks remain the property of their respective owners.
Unauthorised reproduction of content is strictly prohibited. Website design and maintenance, Whitesands Media and Quaystone Software.